top of page


Do I need a referral to see a physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapist?
Most insurance companies do not require a prescription to access these allied health care professionals and you can book directly with a provider of your choosing.  In some instances, insurance companies require a prescription - please check your policy.  If you do not have third party insurance coverage, you do not require a doctor’s referral.

How do I speak to a counsellor regarding my mental health?
Patients can self refer to Mental Health through Interior Health in the Kimberley Health Centre at 250-427-2215.  This does not require a physician referral.  If you have third party health insurance for counselling or psychotherapy, you can self refer and do not require a physician’s referral.  For a list of counsellors in the area please click here:

What is the difference between a medical resident and student?
Medical students have finished an undergraduate degree and are either in their 3rd or 4th year of a 4 year medical school program.  They have not yet chosen a particular specialty.  They typically will see patients alone and then again with the treating physician to review the plan.

Medical Residents have finished 4 years of medical school and are completing a 2 year specialty in Family Medicine.  They are considered medical doctors, can diagnose, treat and write prescriptions.  Unless specifically requested, it is not necessary that patients see the treating physician prior to leaving the clinic but all cases are reviewed between the resident and treating physician at the end of the day.

How do I book a Driver's Medical or Aviation Medical?

Please ensure that you book a separate appointment for your Driver’s Medical and do not forget to bring the form with you.  Please sign and date the form prior to arriving at the clinic.  Please arrive 10 minutes early for a vision test and blood pressure reading.

If you require an Aviation Medical, please notify the front desk staff and they will book an appropriate appointment with Dr. Van Zyl.

How do I obtain my labs/hospital reports?

Please do not contact the Kimberley Medical Clinic for lab results.  If a physician is concerned about a test result, you will be notified by the clinic.  Occasionally, a lab test will be flagged on your online portal as slightly out of range - if this is urgent or requires follow up, your physician will contact you to review the results.  You can register with Interior Health and Life labs at the links below to view your test results online.  If you need a copy of the results, please ask your physician at the time of your appointment but please do not contact the front desk for this service.


Lifelabs link:

Interior Health:

bottom of page